Historically, there has been a lack of research that directly realates to the following populations:
- Transgender Men, particularly those who are not heterosexual
- Nonbinary genders of all kinds - transgender-identifying and not, from agender to pangender, from genderfluid and genderflux to more static nonbinary genders that don't shift in feminine/masculine/other quality, or in intensity of gender-feelings.
- Transwomen who are not heterosexual
- Older adults who are transgender, nonbinary, and/or gender-nonconforming
- Ethically nonmonagamous adults, particularly those who have disabilities, are not binary cisgender people, and/or aren't white
Additionally, rarely are these groups consulted about research that concerns them. This results in poorly informed providers in all healthcare and social services specialties.